Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
Home Instructions Before Oral Surgery
Please follow these instructions to prepare for oral surgery with IV Sedation.
- The night before surgery have a snack before bed, drink a protein drink (Boost, Muscle Milk, or Ensure), and get well hydrated.
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for eight hours prior to the appointment. You may have a SIP of water to take medications that you have been instructed take or maintain on the day of surgery.
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office and remain on the premises for the duration of the appointment, and drive the patient home after the procedure.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing like lounge or exercise pants and a dark colored T-shirt with short sleeves.
- Contact lenses and jewelry should not be worn on the day of surgery. Dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with our office prior to your surgical date for instructions.